#1 road warrior

road warrior

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationFall City, Washington

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

The Wife and I took the Ellensburg to Spokane route via Wenas Rd. last week. 

On this bridge I noticed that it has yellow painted ends. The bridge is over the Tucannon River between Dayton and Delaney. I don't know if this was painted for safety of is it a YT marker?

Curt

Attached Images

• bridge2.jpg
  • bridge1.jpg

#2 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 417 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound area, Washington

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

Curt,

I think I recognize that bridge. Is it the one at 46.488828, -117.960795? Sheila and I were there a couple of falls ago at harvest time..  I will see if I can find a shot from my archives.

Good to see someone is on the road!

Dave

#3 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

Well, how is this for inconclusive.....My August 2013 photos do not show yellow, but the end section of the bridge I think you photographed is behind dense foliage.  You can imagine how that brush that is bare in your photo would look in August.....completely leafed out.   So if there was yellow paint I wound not have seen it.

Furthermore, the yellow paint was probably applied before that bush grew there.  In my photos of the bridge, there are exposed bridge ends that would be a whole lot easier to paint than behind the bush.  And obviously who would paint behind a bush anyway?  So one could reasonably assert that the paint proceeded the bush.....but who knows by how much?

And to extend my "logic" a few steps more, why paint just one end  yellow for safety?   I have displayed my random shots below.

If you drove on to cross the Snake at Central Ferry bridge, you saw the old bridge at 46.524160, -117.783569 which I suspect either of us would identify as a typical early last century design. Young folks like you and your wife probably jogged down to take a look. :) I did my looks by telephoto lens! :)

Photos below.

Dave

curtbridgeA.jpg

curtbridgecrop.jpg

curtotherbridgeA.jpg

curtotherbridgeB.jpg

#4 road warrior

road warrior

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

I can see what you mean by the bush. That's probably why I never noticed it either. I also was there in 2013 and none of those photos show anything. Out of all the corners of the bridge this one had the best paint. You can see it was painted over at one time with white paint. What I also noticed was the black pant around the border of the center rectangle. The one to the left is not painted and you can see the difference.

Curt

Attached Images

• corner.jpg

#5 YellowstoneMo

YellowstoneMo

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:18 AM

A shot approaching the current Central Ferry bridge looking south.

I believe the other older bridge is just a short distance south of the old Central Ferry landing and would have been the road leading to the landing heading north.

Attached Images

• IMG_0202.JPG
  • IMG_0203.JPG

#6 road warrior

road warrior

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

We took a drive up Tinkham Road (old wagon road and early Yellowstone trail) And noticed this yellow painted stone. Was this a marker? 

Attached Images

• tinkham6.jpg

#7 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:43 PM

It was a marker…..and why not!! Who in their right mind paints rocks, unless it has a purpose like marking the Trail? And if you were going to counterfeit Yellowstone Trail markers, why not do it right….circle and arrow, etc.

My point being, where is the numskull who says, I think I am going to try to fool some guy into thinking this a Yellowstone Trail marker by painting rocks yellow!?. Not a very satisfying gag.

John and Mark may disagree, but when Warwick did his trail blazing in 1915, I am skeptical that he was carefully painting circles and arrows each time by the time he was headed over the Cascades.

When the experts stop there someone can ta ke a paint sample and ask some college chemistry student to do a test to determine lead content. Till then, it’s real by me.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Statistics