• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sthomp4297

Sthomp4297

• YTA Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:30 AM

My name is Scott Thompson. I am researching the Yellowstone Trail in relation to Mobridge History when I found this site. Hope to contribute to the great info I have seen here. Great grandfather was one of the original settlers in Mobridge area in 1884.

#2 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 417 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound area, Washington

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:21 PM

Scott,

Welcome!  You will certainly find fellow Mobridge and Yellowstone Trail fans here!!  I am going to alert a couple folks to your post.

In the meantime, if you have the time, share with me and others something of the nature of your research.   I think there is some ambiguity in the minds of our colleagues here about the route in the Mobridge area, and I think they would welcome your help. 

Dave

PS.  You now have full Forum member access and privileges.  Welcome aboard!

#3 Sthomp4297

Sthomp4297

• YTA Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:33 PM

Dave, Thanks! Until I figure out exactly how this site works I will mention a Facebook page I created called "Mobridge in History" to help promote a book my dad wrote about his hometown of Mobridge. I have an interest in Mobridge history and have started reading more about the "Yellowstone Trail" recently. Some photos and information there may be of interest to the group. Thanks for allowing me to join the group! Scott

#4 YellowstoneMo

YellowstoneMo

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

Hi Scott and welcome.

I spent a couple of days, driving around and exploring the Mobridge area a couple of years ago while I was helping verify our maps of the Trail.

Lots of friendly folks and great fishing too. We are always happy to have someone with a local connection and an interest in the Trail, as we cannot travel the entire nation all the time trying to research tidbits of history.

Check out our website at www.yellowstonetrail.org for maps and other interesting info on your area.

We also will welcome any local information you wish to submit, along with articles for our Arrow newsletter.

To subscribe free to the Arrow, email me at mmowbray@yellowstonetrail.org

Mark "Yellowstone Mo" Mowbray

#5 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 417 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound area, Washington

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:36 PM

Scott,

You got the Executive Director's attention!

I visited your Facebook page and was excited to see all the photos and references.  A recommended resource!

Dave

#6 Sthomp4297

Sthomp4297

• YTA Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:37 PM

Dave, Thanks! Looking forward to learning more about the Yellowstone Trail and connection to Mobridge. Glad you enjoyed the site! As you may have seen, I have a number of historic photos of Mobridge and its bridges. Interesting to learn that Mobridge had the first automobile bridge across the Missouri is SD. Scott

#7 YellowstoneMo

YellowstoneMo

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:18 PM

OK Scott...this may either blow your mind or make your day.

The attached photo shows a 35 inch long pennant of the Yellowstone Trail in Mobridge, SD.

This is made of heavy felt material and the logo and letters are all cut from felt and sewed on.

It is in like-new condition.

I have no idea if this was a one-of-a-kind or was manufactured commercially. It's the only one I have ever seen from any town.

This pennant and a 1914 "We Want IN" pocket watch fob were donated to us by a retired Travel & Tourism Professor in Illinois. It currently is carefully pinned up in my "library" - a repurposed walk-in closet.

Mark "Yellowstone Mo" Mowbray

Attached Images

• IMG_2748.JPG

#8 Sthomp4297

Sthomp4297

• YTA Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

Wow! That is really a neat item! Amazing how it has been kept in such good condition for over 100 years! Do you mind if I copy the picture for my "Mobridge in History" Facebook page? Just posted an article about the 1915 relay race from Chicago to Seattle on FB page showing Parmley holding a Yellowstone Trail Pennant. Thanks, Scott

#9 YellowstoneMo

YellowstoneMo

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

No problem Scott, just mention that it is part of the Yellowstone Trail Association's memorabilia collection.

My name need not be mentioned.

It is pretty amazing, and I have no idea of it's history.

The retired Prof. had bought a collection of travel related items somewhere and this was part of it.

He thought we should have it.

The photos show a few of the other items I have collected.

Attached Images

• FOB CROP 4.jpg
  • FOB CROP FRONT 1.jpg
  • 0-YT LAPEL PIN..JPG
  • Spoon 2.jpg
  • Spoon.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Statistics