3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 417 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound area, Washington

Posted 17 April 2017 - 11:29 AM

Laurel, Montana is the latest community to recognize the Yellowstone Trail as an integral part of the community’s history and development. I learned today from the Billings Gazette that a Yellowstone Trail history display sign board has been erected in front of the Chamber of Commerce log cabin on Main Street. The Yellowstone Trail was the Main Street of Laurel.

Greg Childs wearing the Montana state symbol (cowboy hat :) ) was the spark plug behind the idea and several in the community pitched in.  Great work Greg and members of the Laurel community!!

Ann Kooistra-Manning, author of Images of America - Laurel, states that the opening of the transcontinental Yellowstone Trail put Laurel on the map as a jumping off point for Yellowstone National Park’s eastern entrance. Located on the famous Yellowstone River and only a short drive to blue-ribbon trout fishing, skiing, hunting, camping, horseback riding and national forest access, Laurel is recognized today as starting point for outdoor recreation enthusiasts.

In the day of the Yellowstone Trail, Laurel was a major rail center complete with roundhouse and extensive rail yards. It remains today a major rail facility, exciting for railroad buffs. The historical downtown is classic western rail town layout with the major buildings facing the railroad.

(The photographs are from the Laurel Chamber of Commerce site, which I encourage you to visit! http://laurelmontana.org )

Dave

laurel1.jpg

laurel2.jpg

laurel3.jpg

#2 road warrior

road warrior

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationFall City, Washington

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:43 PM

It is great to see more towns are beginning to recognize the YT. I think it is a good way to get people off the interstate and visit these towns. The trail is being used again to drive tourism but this time it is to get them off the boring freeway. 

Great find Dave.

Happy trails

Curt

#3 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 417 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound area, Washington

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:07 PM

Curt,

Thanks for the comeback.  I can't take credit for finding the article.  Mark put me on to it  as did John. I will take credit for doing a little research.

And believe me, I agree with you about freeways!!

Dave

#4 YellowstoneMo

YellowstoneMo

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:06 AM

The Yellowstone Trail Assoc. has made numerous contacts with folks in Laurel over the years, both with personal visits by the Ridges and myself, and through emails. It has been a long hard struggle to find someone who cared until we became in contact with Greg Childs. He finally was a local who felt strong enough about our history in Laurel to do something.

Be aware also that the YTA designed, had manufactured, shipped and paid for that interpretive sign and the locals only donated labor to erect it. The sign was paid for by donations to our "Interpretive Sign Fund". We welcome your donations at this link to our new website. http://www.yellowsto...org/donate.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Statistics