#1 road warrior

road warrior

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationFall City, Washington

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

Here are my newest then and now photos. Both are from the Yellowstone Trail on the west side of Snoqualmie pass. 

Oh and by the way the road is now open.

Attached Images

• rocksa.jpg
  • rocksb.jpg
  • denny_creek_campgrounda.jpg
  • dennycreek.jpg

#2 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 419 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound area, Washington

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

Curt,

Great shots!!  I really like the "Then and Now"  idea.

I see what appears to be some sign of the access road (under the arch) in the second set "Now" photo.  How in the heck did you spot it....assuming I am seeing it correctly.

And BTW, I think I have noted before that the arch bears the blaze of the National Parks Highway / Red Trail.

Dave

#3 YellowstoneMo

YellowstoneMo

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

Great match-ups road warrior!

The underbrush along the roadside sure hides any trace of former routes, doesn't it.

#4 road warrior

road warrior

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:36 PM

Yes it was hard to find. I didn't think it would be as hard as it was. So I took another look at the map and saw that the old wagon road turned to the left (as your going uphill) with the river. So I just followed the river until it turned and behind the bushes was the entrance. There is a metal gate post about where the Post with the "Blaze" on it was. After walking around I figured the gate was moved because the river cut a swath through where the road to the camp was. They just moved the gate up to where it is now to bypass the flooded area.

#5 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

Curt,

Quite the sleuth!! :)

Looking at the Then and Now first two photos, it appears that the large boulder at about 1 o'clock above the nearer car is in the same position in your Now shot. It appears a bit more “exposed” today, but the shape is the same. I guess I would expect some down-slope movement of smaller rocks over the years, leaving the bolder in place, but a bit “higher.”

Nice work!

Dave

#6 road warrior

road warrior

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

Here is the then and now combined

Attached Images

• rocksak.jpg

#7 YellowstoneMo

YellowstoneMo

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

Ghost cars!

Sometimes when I am driving a very old stretch like this I imagine myself driving a 1920s car and meeting others along the way. I remember well doing that last year as I drove slowly over the Black Mountains pass on the "old Route 66" near Oatman, AZ.

I have also done it on the YT in a few remote places...gravel roads do it for me...puts me in that time frame.

There is a well-graded gravel road East of Marshfield, WI that is the original route of the YT.

As I drove it one day, I came up behind an Amish man with two kids in a buggy, with the horse doing a lively 15 - 20 miles an hour cantor.

I stayed well behind and soaked in the atmosphere of that wonderful vision before me. I was back in the day.

#8 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Curt,’

WOW

I duplicated your overlay in Photoshop using the photo in  your post and was amazed at how well you matched the Then and Now in taking the Now photo. I never get that close. Was it good luck or do you have a technique to share?

My experience is that even with the best positioning of the camera, my photo is at least somewhat off if for no other reason than I don’t exactly match my lens length with that of the Then photographer. You practically got it spot on. Is there a secret?

Dave

#9 road warrior

road warrior

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:55 PM

Hi Dave

The photos in this post were ones I was actually trying to match. Most of the other ones I have on my website were a coincidence. I just figured I liked the spot as much as the old photographer did. There is no secret that I know of. It is pure luck going off memory.

Leona and I drove back up yesterday. Below is another Then and Now that I tried to match. I got close.

Attached Images

• switch2a.jpg
  • switch2b.jpg

#10 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 419 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 06:19 AM

Curt,

I am amazed. I haven’t overlaid the latest two images, but it is apparent they are very close. Great “eye!”

I admit again to a bit of envy. I have said before that you are a natural at finding the old routes, and now you are demonstrating a natural skill at the then and now thing.

I have two things you might want to explore.

1. ArcMap, ArcGis

2. Historical Register applications

The first is a long time software system which would compliment your map creation skills. I have just begun to experiment with it. It is something like a super charged Google Earth on steroids. It has a 60 day trial and a reasonable subscription fee for non commercial use.

The historical register thing is really fun, and your talents are probably marketable. If I were 20 years younger I would probably do this myself. What happens is that some group decides to register a segment of an historic road. It might even be a state department of transportation,

They contract with a consulting firm familiar with the application process to prepare the application. That firm might have an archaeologist on staff, but it is highly unlikely they are skilled in old road identification. That is where you come in.

I won’t go into detail, but I am informed by a reliable archaeologist working for a consulting firm I helped last Spring that the demand is there. Nice way to use a hobby for fun and profit.

Dave

#11 road warrior

road warrior

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the Arcmap. I took a look at the website and it is something I would like to learn. 

Here are a couple of new then and nows. The Denny Creek campground photo is not exact due to the brush I believe it is close.

Attached Images

• dennyg3.jpg
  • dennyg1.jpg
  • switch1a.jpg
  • switch1b.jpg
  • switch1combo.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Statistics