2 replies to this topic

#1 YellowstoneMo

YellowstoneMo

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:44 AM

This is not on the YT, but the next pass north of Snoqualmie Pass on historic US Highway 2...Stevens Pass.

I skied there many years ago and had driven over the pass and even camped there one night a couple of years ago in the summer.

Interesting photo that I came across on Hemming's Motor News. I'm sure the ski resorts at Snoqualmie looked pretty much the same.

Neat old cars and '40s fashions for outdoors folks!

Attached Images

• StevensPassWA1940s_1200-970x548.jpg

#2 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 419 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound area, Washington

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

Mark,

The building looks old, and in need of paint, but what caught my attention are the curtained windows upstairs. These old Mom and Pop places often, probably usually, rented rooms upstairs, typically with the bathroom down the hall. A charm I don’t miss.   

Dave

#3 road warrior

road warrior

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationFall City, Washington

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

Cool photo Mark.

That is one rustic lodge. Reminds me of grandma's house.

I had to do some research and found this. My opinion this is the original lodge before it burned.

Bruce Kehr writes that the Stevens Pass ski area started during the fall and winter of 1937-38, when some trees were chopped down and a rope tow was constructed using a ford V8, and other parts purchased for less than $600. Bruce Kehr and Don Adams formed a loose partnership and went into business, even though the pass was not open from the west side in winter. The few west-siders who skied at Stevens either hiked six miles from the railway portal at Scenic or bought one-way tickets through the tunnel for 18 cents and rode up from the east portal in a small second-hand school bus. They completed their day by skiing back down to Scenic and their cars. Kehr describes the installation of other rope tows and chairlifts until December 1976 when the area was sold to Harbor Properties, a Seattle Firm headed by Stimson Bullitt.

The original lodge was constructed in 1937 by the CCC, a government funded work force. In 1940 this lodge burned down.

In the google photo (looking east at the summit) the lodge would have been to the left.

Attached Images

• stevens.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Statistics