4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 417 posts
  • LocationPuget Sound area, Washington

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:24 AM

Our Executive Director is too modest to announce his upcoming transcontinental Trail trip, so I have sent him this note:

Mark,

Glad to see you are about to launch. Let's plan to get together at some point!

I have some personal prejudices probably not shared by others but I will state them for your consideration. I seldom look at anyone's blog, and have declined to produce one myself. But I do look at forums. Like I said, I am probably alone in this pattern, but I do have a reason.

Blogs to me are “Look at me!!!” and replies are focused on the blogger. If I comment on a blog, others don't respond, so there is no “community,” dialog. The forum offeres a better form of community, I believe. A second argument for posting your adventures on the forum is that folks visiting the forum will “stumble” into it and be interested, even if they don't reply.

I share with you the feeling that too few people respond to blogs and forums, but many visit. Your posts would be interesting to many, even if those who stop in, don't reply.

Sheila and I are in a very very tentative and early discussion of a double transcontinental trip this fall, east on the Yellowstone Trail and south to Florida, then back on a more southern route. I have been thinking about what we might do. I no longer get my jollies from just “consuming” (sightseeing, eating, shopping, yada yada). I want to “produce” something. I want a “purpose.” A blog, an e-book, significant posts on the forum.

Let me give an example. Headed east on the Yellowstone Trail, there are several hotels that served the Trail traveler which are still in operation. Three that come to mind are the Waterville Hotel, the Davenport Hotel (Spokane), and the Sacajawea (Three Forks). Others come to mind as well. I might post visits or stays at these places to the forum. Not a daily record, but something significant. Maybe county fairs along the way, or festivals and special events. Even old school houses. I look for cast iron front buildings.

I think this kind of thing helps focus a trip anong the Trail, gives a trip a larger purpose, and avoids being the 50,001th daily travel dialog. And one becomes an “expert” in the process!! :)

Bottom line...I encourage you to post to the forum....not necessarily daily, but maybe the best fishing spots....or any other topic the Trail introduces.

Dave

#2 YellowstoneMo

YellowstoneMo

Advanced Member

• YTA Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

Thanks Dave. I intended to post something but had not decided just what...now I know.

Unfortunately, most folks today do not read anything. A blog, lengthy email, or even this forum will have very limited reach.

I suppose if I did it as a video with explosions and wandering vampires and slipped a little Yellowstone Trail info in with it I might get a few hits.

I have visited all three of those hotels and loved each one although I didn't stay at any. I travel to "feel" a place, an area, a geographic wonder. I take lots of photos but don't share a lot of them...they are mostly memories for me. My imagination runs wild as I envision myself as a mountain man, homesteader, or early YT driver. I'm kinda like the guy in Field of Dreams who says "is this heaven?" "No", the other guy answers, "this is Iowa".

Many places I travel to sure look like heaven to me.

Note that I started a new post titled Wandering West. I will post to that about once a week and will probably get to Western Washington sometime around the end of July and I'm hoping to spend a bit of time with you. No, I'm not looking for a free place to stay or a free meal, I just want intelligent conversation which you are quite capable of providing. See you then.

Mo

#3 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 417 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Mark,

Sounds good!  I will look for your progress reports and expect to see you around the end of July.

I sort of agree with you on what people read (or view).  There is so much out there it is hard to catch and hold anyone's attention.  Murder, mayhem, and exploding stuff does get viewed, but I'm not into any of that either!! :)

I also agree on the value of intelligent conversation.  Fortunately the folks who show an interest in the Trail seem to be a pretty literate bunch, as you well know.  But those folks have busy lives and lots of choices also.  I confess I have been distracted for the past month, and for the past week I have been going through the garage and many "artifacts" I have collected over the years.  Then there will come the basement, and ultimately my old road archives.

I understand the description you give of sort of drifting into the roadside scene.  Two lane road travel for me is like a movie I can control. I can stop, or go fast forward, I can explore the story line in detail or follow a branch story, and I can even create suspense or humor.  Tough to do on the interstate!!

I have to get back to the garage before Sheila wonders where I went!

Happy travels!

Dave

#4 Bob

Bob

• YTA Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTuscaloosa, Alabama

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

I think it would be great to identify hotels and other sights and places of interest that are part of the trail's history.  It would enrich the traveler's experience. 

#5 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 417 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Bob,

Thanks for the comeback! It would be interesting to do as you suggest. I did that for the National Parks Highway a couple of years ago, identifying nd photographing sites, old hotels, and garages from their 1919 guide. I even spent a night in a couple of spectacular hotels in the guide that are absolutely beautiful today.

I met up with Mark a couple of days ago and we visited the 1913 Red Brick Road in Redmond, Washington. I think we will meet up again in eastern Washington and visit the Yellowstone Trail Hard Rock Twin Tunnels, and an old section of the YT in Sunnyside, Washington. There are plans afoot to raise a sign on an old section.

And I think John “certified” my identification of the Tunnels the other day, so now I consider my “discovery” official!! :) Sure to make the guide books!!

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Web Statistics